Welcome

Today is the day we make our choices for tomorrow. English IV will be your last language arts class prior to graduation. This is the time to gain as many skills in writing, reading, and analyzing as you possibly can. Here on this blog spot, you are free to express yourself about the things we are studying. You are reminded about being appropriate to the school environment. I welcome your mature comments.

Expressing our views

Expressing our views

Monday, January 28, 2013

Sing me song...

During the Medieval Period, the common folk enjoyed many folk ballads like the ones we are reading in class.  Which folk ballad: "Edward, Edward", "Lord Randall", "Get Up and Bar the Door",  "Two Corbies", or "Sir Patrick Spens" did you find most interesting and why?  (The deadline to post a response is midnight, Wednesday, January 30, 2013.)

6 comments:

EJR2 said...

I found "Get up and Bar the Door" the most interesting because it had some ironic humor in it. When the husband and wife came up with the bet, who ever talks first has to go bar the door, it reminded me alot of my family. We always set stubborn bets just because we all don't want to do chores!

Unknown said...

I think "Get up and Bar the Door" was the most interesting because it was funny and suspenseful all at the same time. The couple ware getting robbed, which was suspenseful, and the woman still said noting all because she wanted her husband to bar the door, which was very funny.

Unknown said...

"Two Corbies" was most interesting. I love reading pieces from the earlier time periods because I enjoy learning about the culture through the selections. "Two Corbies" taught the unimportance of life and death. It allows the lesson of poverty and survival shine through. I thoroughly enjoyed this dark, disturbing, yet clever ballad.

Unknown said...

The ballad "Sir Patrick Spens", was the most interesting to me. This poem was interesting because I enjoy stories of adventure and danger. It also has a beat that almost sounds like you could sing it to the tune of a jester's flute. It had the whole midieval vibe that I was looking for in a ballad. Ds

Unknown said...

I found that "Get Up and Bar the Door" was most interesting. It was interesting because it entertaining. The husband and wife made a bet for whoever spoke first had to bar the door. Neither one of them spoke because they were too stuborn and wanted to win the bet.

Unknown said...

"Lord Randall" is the ballad that I found most interesting. This caught my eyes because it shows that you cannot trust anyone, not even the person that you think is your "true love". Lord Randall found that out when his love made him dinner and poisoned him, therefore, leaving him to die. This ballad is still accurate till this day because you see husband abusing wives and couple killing each other. Our world is a crazy world. I feel like "Lord Randall" could be used back then and present time more than any other ballad. -CD